Welcome to the 3rd week of the 4th Annual Fit Family Challenge!
We loved seeing all of your great photos from the last two weeks and were inspired by the healthy food choices you were making (we definitely want to try the pomelo fruit!). As we push forward through each phase, it is important that we stay on track and continue to motivate each other, which brings us to today's post...
The first element of Triple Play challenges our mind. The decision maker and constant influencer, the way we think about food and nutrition plays a huge role in whether or not we achieve a truly healthy lifestyle. With Halloween still creeping up in our rear-view mirrors and the holidays quickly approaching, we are tempted with sweet treats, carb-loaded sides and the tendency to overeat. To keep us all on track, check out a few tips below:
- Portion Control: The most important thing to remember is that, yes, you can still have the leftover candy corn and indulge in your favorite meals but always consider moderation. Having a few pieces of candy rather than several handfuls after a healthy meal of protein, veggies and whole grains is a great way to maintain balance in your new healthy lifestyle.
- Get Creative: Incorporate new and exciting foods into your daily meals. Make dinners fun by adding delicious herbs to veggies or trying your favorite protein on a kebab! And don't be afraid to try new recipes. If you come across something that looks good in a magazine or on your favorite cooking show, challenge yourself and play chef for the day.
- Snacks, Snacks, Snacks: The key to staying on track between meals is to stock the cabinets and lunch boxes with healthy snacks. Rather than artificially sweetened or over processed items, go for whole grain crackers and cheese or berries with a dollop of nonfat whipped cream. Choosing snacks that are full of essential nutrients and taste good will not only keep you full longer but will also put a smile on your face :)
And don't forget to keep up with this week's challenges!
- Try something new this week from the Simple Breakfast Ideas handout included in your packet.
- Print and post the Daily Water Tracker in your family’s kitchen and track each member’s water consumption this week. Aim to have every person drink at least 6 – 8 glasses of water each day.
- Replace all high-calorie, high-fat or low nutrition snacks with “power snacks” this week. Read pages 12 – 13 of the Triple Play Parents Game Plan for more information on power snacks and ideas for a game to help kids understand the proper way to snack.
How are you staying healthy this week? What does nutrition mean for your family? Sound off below and make sure you send us your photos this week!
Stay fit -
Your BGCA Triple Play Team